Your Shopify conversion rate is the ultimate indicator of your store’s success. According to Littledata, the average Shopify conversion rate as of February 2022 is 1.8%.
If you're below the average or are not happy with your conversion rate, there are several things you can do to improve it. Here are 10 tips:
1. Use high-quality product photos
Any successful ecommerce business starts with a great website design, and one of the most important aspects of design is product photography. High-quality product photos give potential customers a clear idea of what your products look like and help them to visualise how they would fit into their lives.
In addition to boosting Shopify conversion rate, well-chosen product photos can also create an emotional connection with potential customers and build trust in your brand. So if you want to give your shopify store the best chance of success, make sure you're using high-quality product photos.
2. Create compelling product descriptions
Your product descriptions should be clear, concise, and persuasive. They should explain why someone needs your product and what benefits it offers. The more compelling your descriptions are, the more likely people are to buy from you.
Here are some tips to create effective product descriptions:
1. Use strong, active language that highlights the benefits of the product
2. Avoid long, rambling descriptions
3. Make sure your descriptions are accurate and error-free
4. Include relevant keywords to help improve your search engine optimization (SEO)
Here’s an example from Asos:
3. Use email marketing
Shopify’s blog claims that email marketing is one of the most effective marketing techniques for improving the performance of your Shopify store, with 4.29%. To take most advantage of email marketing, you can use three types of emails:
- Transactional emails that are sent during the checkout process and provide the right information right when the customer is making the buying decision. According to Campaign Monitor, the open rates of transactional emails are eight times higher than non-transactional emails.
- Promotional emails are sent during specific marketing campaigns, like Black Friday, Christmas season, etc. You can use them to provide specific offers and highlight different products.
- Lifecycle emails, that get triggered according to users’ actions.
4. Create the sense of urgency
Creating a sense of urgency by offering limited-time discounts is one of the most effective ways to increase your Shopify conversion rate. However, when we say “limited-time discount,” we often think of discounts that last for a day or a season.
How about increasing the urgency even further? Think of it like this:
- A website visitor comes to a product page on your ecommerce store
- They see the product, but are still hesitant to buy it
- They suddenly get the possibility to ask for 20% discount
- You approve the discount, and they only have 60 seconds to accept the offer and add the product to their cart at a discounted price
By leveraging the power of gamification, you can encourage more customers to buy from your shopify store and increase your conversion rate significantly. Find out more here.
5. Offer multiple payment options
The more payment options you offer, the more likely people are to buy from you. Popular options include credit cards, Google Pay, PayPal, and Apple Pay. Offering multiple payment options means that you can target a wider pool of shoppers.
6. Include customer testimonials
Customer testimonials provide potential customers with valuable insights into the quality of your products and the satisfaction of your previous customers. Furthermore, they serve as social proof that your shop can be trusted, increasing the likelihood that a potential customer will complete a purchase. Be sure to include testimonials on your product pages as well as your home page.
7. Keep the design simple
Customers only spend 50 milliseconds to build a first perception of your ecommerce store, so you need to do all in your power to maximize that time. Don't overburden your website visitors with content and photos. Instead, use a straightforward, eye-catching design to keep on brand and on message.
Here’s an example from Zeuss:
8. Optimize your search functionality
If customers can't find what they're looking for, they're not going to buy anything. That's why it's so important to optimize your Shopify search functionality to ensure that customers can easily find what they're looking for.
Make sure that all of your products are properly tagged and categorized. This will help Shopify's search algorithm understand what your products are and where they should appear in search results.
9. Offer free shipping
Customers may be greatly inconvenienced by high shipping costs and may be discouraged from making purchases. To entice clients to place a purchase regardless of how far it must go, try providing free delivery. With 73% of customers indicating that free shipping intentionally influenced their choice to make an online purchase, free shipping may have a significant impact on conversions.
10. Test different elements on your pages
One of the best ways to find out what works on your pages is to test different elements and see how they impact conversion rates. Try testing things like headlines, images, call-to-actions, etc., and see which ones have the biggest impact on conversion rates. Then, once you know what works best, make sure all of your pages include these elements .
Shopify Conversion Rate FAQs
What is tje average Shopify store conversion rate?
As of February 2022, 1.8% is the average Shopify conversion rate, according to Littledata.
What is a good Shopify store conversion rate?
You have a good Shopify conversion rate if your store’s conversion rate is higher than 3.2%. Any conversion rate above 3.2% will place you in the top 20% of Shopify stores, and any conversion rate over 4.7% will place you in the top 10%.
How do you increase Shopify store conversion rate?
Here are the top 10 ways to increase your Shopify store conversion rate:
- Use high-quality product photos
- Create compelling product descriptions
- Use email marketing
- Create the sense of urgency
- Offer multiple payment options
- Include customer testimonials
- Keep the design simple
- Optimize your search functionality
- Offer free shipping
- Test different elements on your pages